Thursday, May 03, 2007

Adblock
Adblock
Adblock


I sat down in an empty parking lot. Three little boys, two were 4 and the other 8, approached me as I wrote in my journal and asked what I was writing. I evaded the question, handed them colored pencils and a 4x8 inch piece of paper to draw on together. I happened to had a good recording device with me and I hit record as it sat in my open bag away from their view. I later recorded the guitar track to go with the original voices of the boys. The video slowly fades into the drawing and back out to white. I saw the red haired four year old again yesterday playing on the streets around the fence of a condemned coliseum.

There are the trained marks of a fine artist on paper or canvas which can be beautiful and attuned to the subject and insightful. These authentic marks of little children have the simple beauty of the human person, our vitality, life, gentleness, and hope.

1 comment:

caleb coppock said...

Joel!!! Fantastic!

This is wonderful, quiet, peaceful and handled with respect and maturity. The drawing helps me imagine the kids crowding around it from different angles. The guitar is beautiful and a bit unsettling.

I am so glad that you are making work like this.

-cc