Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Six months ago I had the honor of spending time with a beautiful soul named Jean. Jean had spent her life caring for many with her tough love and kind words. As Jean lay in a clinic near the end of a long battle with the cancer that was deteriorating her organs she taught me many things. Here are a few.

- Appreciate the rain. Take a drive or stroll and watch how it fills the low places.

-Celebrate your birthday. If you don't, few will.

-Live each day to its fullest. Not a single one is promised.

-Respect yourself. Others will do likewise.

-Remember. The memories can be difficult, but they are so worth it.

-Listen. It is a Holy act that can usher us into the Divine.

My friend Stuart and I interviewed Jean 5 times before her death. The audio has been edited down into a 6 minute narrative for her family about her life and the wisdom she held. As I listen to her voice still fresh in my head, I am reminded that simply living life intentionally is an act of beauty.

2 comments:

Joel said...

Thanks for posting Mark. This is great. I hope you can make a link latter when you get the audio up on line. It sounds like a great project.

Joel

mm said...

I am in the process of creating a new website that will have the ability to upload audio pieces. I will have Jean on there then. thanks