Tuesday, August 08, 2006

This article has been published in Incommunion journal (Orthodox Peace Fellowship journal) and The Cry magazine (Word Made Flesh's advocacy magazine). Rouault and especially Wiliam Dyrness' biography Rouault:A Vision of Suffering and Salvation have been influential in my thinking about art and its necessary connection to suffering for authenticity.


Hope-giving Images

Last summer I arranged to see one of George Rouault’s ‘Head of Christ’ paintings at the Cleveland Museum of Art. Being one of my greatest heroes, I hoped to see this painting only to find it was in storage. I constructed a great sob story and went up to the reception desk of the museum, ‘I live in Romania and only visit north east Ohio once a year and come especially to see Rouault’s work, and he is the biggest reason that I myself am an artist’. She looked at me as if she understood I must be a potential future Picasso and couldn’t imagine stunting my artistic growth. We arranged a time in a couple days when they would pull the three by four foot luminous ‘Head of Christ’ and then see the Rouault prints they could find stored in the print archives.

I became aware of Rouault’s work through a book called George Rouault, A Vision of Suffering and Salvation. As a theologian, the book was a real life study for William Dyrness on a Christian approach to art. As the title alludes, his basic thesis is that the Christian artist is one who brings together the suffering of the world with a vision of its redemption.

My jaw dropped when the entire Miserere et Guerre series done by Rouault was brought out for me to see a couple days later...see the rest of the text along with the Rouault painting at... http://incommunion.org/articles/previous-issues/issue-37/rouault%e2%80%99s-hope-giving-images

No comments: